Thursday, August 27, 2009

Etsymetal charm swap progess or Why I like to wait til the last minute


Etsymetal charm swap progess
Originally uploaded by bcyrjewelry
So as per my norm - I like waiting until close to the last minute before finishing up important things. Like my etsymetal charms. I did the first two a couple weeks ago - just to get the idea rolling and make sure they turned out how I wanted. And then they just sat there... and sat there. I have to make 22 of these, not 2. They are in the kiln right now. and they have to be mailed out on Monday at the very latest. So if they all turn out, I can get them cleaned up and in the mail in time.

Not to mention the 4 other rings I have in there too, all of which need to be in the mail tomorrow. Do I like the excitement? the adrenaline rush? Do I really work better under pressure? Its not like I haven't been busy, I have. Finishing other projects at the last minute! ha! Well, thats not exactly the case. I mailed out some rings yesterday more than a couple weeks early.

I have yet to figure out what it is about some pieces that sit for a long time until its almost too late. And other pieces I'm able to get finished and out the door in record time. I feel like maybe it isn't fair to some customers - who order pieces at the exact right time for it to only take me a week or two. Vs the customer that orders at the wrong time and it takes me the full 4 weeks to finish something. Sigh. I don't know. But they always get done. Even if it is the last day of my window.

I've been like this at least, well, as far back as I can remember. Staying up late at night in 6th grade to finish this really cool paper mache fish, high school... alllll the time, and in college, more times than I can count staying up super late, or all night to finish something. I can't do that late night, all night thing any more. So I have gotten a bit better about time management and balancing life. Its early and I'm rambling. But the kiln isn't done yet despite the fact I started it at 8:00 last night.... not that I don't have other things I need to be doing...

No comments: