Friday, September 10, 2010

Ring Engraving!


I am very pleased to announce that I will now be doing my own engraving! I am super excited to have gotten an inside ring engraver. And that it is SO fun to use.

This is for in the inside of rings only, not the outside or on a flat surface. Standard engraving cost is $18 for one ring or $30 for a pair. If the engraving very simple, like just the date or initials (all one case, less than 8 characters total), it is $10/ring. The number of letters/words that can be engraved depend on the size of the ring and a little on which font is chosen. The block styles do take up a little bit more space. On average, I would say most ring sizes could handle at least 25 - 30 character spaces (counting the letters and spaces in between words) Larger rings closer to 40 - 45, maybe more. Makers mark and alloy stamps will be included if the engraving is very short and there is adequate space. If it doesn't seem to fit w/ the engraving, it may be left off. If you have a preference, please let me know.

I have 5 different fonts available. So far I've just been practicing on some cheap brass rings, so the samples are just really generic. As I do real rings, I'll photograph them and add them in so you can see different words/letter combos and numbers.

The dial it came with has 2 block styles - a larger, slightly italic upper case font - this one had been available before. I'm going to just call it simply Large Block Style And a smaller and more blocky all upper case font that reminds me slightly of Copperplate if you're familiar w/ that font - I'm going to just call it Small Block Style.

Large Block Style



Sample on 6mm wide ring



Small Block Style



Samples on 4mm width ring





The next block style is called Modern Block - and it includes lower case letters! Which I am very excited about. It kind of reminds me a little bit of Comic Sans, minus a little comic :)

Modern Block



Samples on 4mm ring






And then there are two different Script Styles - one is similar if not exactly the same as one I offered before. The other one is totally new.

Fancy Script



Samples on 4mm ring






Modern Script



Sample on 4mm ring



modern script

and that concludes my engraving overview!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Ooh, I love this! I wish I had one. You lucky girl!

Beth Cyr said...

it is SO fun! and surprisingly, was a lot less money than i thought it would be. i probably would have gotten one sooner if I'd looked in to it! actually, the dials seemed to be the most expensive bit, but i figured i might as well go big and get them all!

JR said...

I know this is an old post, but just in case: where did you get the dials? ive looking for them but no luck. And how much did they cost? if you can email me please to jaregalado87@hotmail.com

Thanks !