If you saw the post from yesterday, you got a bit of a hint of what I was supposed to be working on for my challenge this week. I was given: Ring, Aluminum, Victorian/Byzantine.
Part of my goal has been to create pieces that all work together and still look like me. When doing a little research on victorian or byzantine jewelry, I thought that my organic vine collection might work fine as 'Victorian" with the lacy and tendril-y look.
For the aluminum - we had been talking about how to treat the metal underneath clear stones and one suggestion was aluminum foil. I thought the textured effect of tightly crinkled foil would give an extra dimension to the ring. I was really happy with the effect.
I did two different photos since the one on the right focuses more on the texture underneath the moonstone (which happened to be the only stone I had that was clear enough to see the aluminum foil through!) You can see more photos on flickr.
I kind of feel like it was a little clumsy on execution (if I have to critique myself) Its kind of like a good design coming down the runway, but the hem isn't finished. Overall though I'm pretty happy with it and can see opportunities for the techniques I used in this ring. And THAT makes me really happy.
Make sure to check out the etsymetal blog later today for all the other entries. You will be blown away.
I'm a full time artist - mostly in jewelry but I consider myself an all around artist as I love painting, photography, ceramics, and screenprinting. My business has largely turned in to making custom wedding rings which is wonderfully meaningful. I'm also a yoga teacher!